Wednesday, 19 December 2007

5th December- Charm Survey


I conducted a survey with the objects shown. Asking every respondent to indicate which objects had emotional effect on them as well as, what items did they believe would they keep longer than 10 years.

The results were as i expected and the more basic the process behind the product the more effect the object had on the user. The objects were for this reason, in general, older. However, i eradicated any nostalgia sentiment for objects by asking all respondents to pass on any of the objects that they had previously owned. I am still a little skeptical because I am aware that people tend to warm towards older objects due to their richness of history. Having said this the reason for negativity towards current objects is only because of bad design creating no emotion with the user.

I believe relationships and value to build over time and the only way in which a user can gain time with an object is to feel emotional towards it and therefore, reluctant to throw it away. The most obvious way of gaining attachment is involvement and interaction with the object. The more interaction on the user's behalf the greater connection there can be between the object and user.

No comments: